Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A little more from Louisiana

I am trying to catch up on some things from Louisiana.  In a wet field across from the campground I saw these little mud chimneys.  Mom said that they were crawfish chimneys.  The crawfish dig down to the water table and bring the mud up to the surface and deposit it around their hole.



As we drove around the area we saw a lot of these flooded fields with row of red objects in them.  I assumed that they were rice fields, but could not figure out the red objects.  I had to know, so I asked at a visitor's center.  I found out that they are rice fields, but in the off season, they reflood the fields and raise crawfish!  The red objects are the tops of the traps that they use to catch the crawfish.

 
They wear tall boots and push these little boats around each morning to empty the traps and rebait them.
 


 
One day on the way to Lafayette, we spotted this turtle by the road, so we stopped to check it out.

 
In Layfayette we visited a rebuild acadian village with homes and buildings from different periods of time.


 
Behind one of the houses we spotted this alligator on the dock.  Yes, he's real.

 
And some large turtles on these logs.

 
Back at the campground, mom found some donkeys and a goat to feed.

2 comments:

  1. Yet, again, I'm reminded of why I like Iowa. Wild animals just traipsin' around. . .seems so dangerous. I'll keep my bunnies and squirrels thankyouverymuch.
    -Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of wild animals traipsing around, I took the kids to the circus tonight. ALL FOUR OF THEM. JUST ME. I learned some important lessons, one of them being: never again. LOL
    -Becca

    ReplyDelete