Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Work on the Station

I am having a great time here so far.  I will be working Tue-Fri each week, so we will have Sat-Mon to explore.  The people here are great, I am working with Andy so far, preparing units for prescribed fire.  This involves trimming trees along the roads and cutting down and clearing dead trees from near the roads.  These are the areas that will be burned this winter to clear out the undesirable vegetation and help restore the land to its original form.  The areas are mostly long leaf pine sand hills and oak hammocks.  The areas that have regularly been burned look fantastic, almost park like.  They have prescribed fire training here for crews across the country. Click here for more information on the Training school.  I will try to get some pictures this weekend and post here. Janice has been to town to check mail and grocery shop.  Today she was organizing cupboards and watched a buck walk around our back yard.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're settling in just fine. Do you have to take the fire training too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I wish that I could and that I was young enough to handle it.

      Delete